WHAT EXACTLY IS RASPBERRY PI?
Developed in United Kingdom by Raspberry Pi Foundation, it is a single board computer (SBC) that is actually a fully functional computer with all the microprocessors (8 or 16 bit processors), memory (RAM) and other required features jammed on a single circuit board. It is a very affordable and more of a cheap minicomputer, its price ranges between 5$-35$ depending on the type of model you are using. Although it is a complete computer but it does not come with the accessories such as the mouse, keyboard, this you need to purchase separately or you can simply use the keyboards or mouse from the old computers as well. Since Raspberry Pi was acclaimed as a success with its launch, many new versions of it have been introduced as well.
Following are the models released so far by the Raspberry Pi Foundation:
1. FIRST GENERATION
• Raspberry Pi 1 Model B
• Raspberry Pi 1 Model A
• Raspberry Pi 1 Model A+ B+
The First Generation computers in the beginning released Model B in 2012, followed by Model A in 2014. The more modified versions (A+, B+) were then launched.
2. SECOND GENERATION:
• Raspberry Pi 2 Model B
Its features are almost similar to the Pi 1 Model B+ except for the RAM (1GB) and CPU (900 MHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A7). Since its CPU is very fast, it can thus run Windows 10 and even Linux operating systems.
3. THIRD GENERATION:
• Raspberry Pi 3 Model B
It is the latest model launched in 2016, it is almost compatible with Pi 2 except for the CPU (1.2 GHz 64 bit quad core ARM v8), Bluetooth, BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy), and a wireless LAN.
4. RASPBERRY PI ZERO & ZERO W:
The cheapest model available between the range of 5-10$. Pi zero series are known for smaller size and known for projects which require low input/output (I/O). Pi zero W is similar to Pi zero except for few accessories added to it that includes Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
HOW YOU CAN UTILIZE RASPBERRY PI?
- United Kingdom is now making it mandatory to use Raspberry Pi in terms of education. A Picademy has been launched by the Pi foundation that teaches through 2 day tutorials to the teachers and mentors, the ways of using Raspberry Pi. So that the teaching of the new computers curriculum becomes easy for the teachers in the schools.
- You can make your home automation system, so that it enables you in monitoring your house effectively. It of course requires few extra gadgets such as cameras, sensors etc.
- A cheap and cost effective desktop computer.
- You can build drones and robots through this single board computer. Raspberry Pi 1 A+ and Pi zero are especially used for these minor projects.
- Raspberry Pi has encouraged beginners and young kids to come forward in learning programming by using it. They also have now teamed with CoderDojo Foundation, this foundation has itself made a platform for people aged between 7-17 years interested in programming to learn through them, and together they surely will bring about some cool and intuitive skill programs for the younger age group.
Raspberry Pi Foundation has much more stored in ahead of them. With the speed they have so far gained the reception and the way people have come to utilize this minicomputer, it surely is the future of the tech industry.